Update: Please also add 5 movies you can watch over and over again. I’d really like to hear about that.
I started my day by reading this post written by the Bride and immediately commented all excited about the P Tracker app that I use religiously. She then tagged me in case I wanted to pick the 5 questions up. I really liked the questions and totally want to answer them.
One beauty product you would recommend to your girlfriends
I have become a fan of Soultree products recently because they are totally natural and organic whenever possible. So I have to say Soultree lipstick and kajal.
I sometimes use Maybelline Superstay 24 which delivers what it promises. The color does stay (even with all the eating and drinking) till you scrub it off with oil. It’s slightly matte and makes it seem like it’s your actual lip color. In fact, when I was travelling in Spain, an Argentinian woman asked me if that was my original lip color. Yeah, brick red! 😀 In retrospect, I should’ve told her that it was indeed my actual color. 😀
Okay, I have already listed three, but I must add Maybelline gel liner. It’s perfect, I can draw a fine and dark line with it, and I love the pot it comes in.
I don’t know if perfumes come under beauty products. On most days I go without any product on my face, but hardly ever without a perfume. I absolutely love fragrances, and my favorite is Escada Sexy Graffiti. It’s fruity and clean, exactly what I like.
Three books everyone must read
Like Bride mentioned in her post, I don’t think I feel very strongly about what people should read, because you know we all like different kinda things. So I’m going to tweak the question to three books I absolutely love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude: Without a doubt the best book I have ever read.
- The Good Earth Trilogy: I love Pearl Buck’s writing. I love the descriptions of the farmer’s life in China, the strong female characters, and an underlying sense of melancholy you feel while reading it.
- Of Human Bondage: I love Somerset Maugham’s writing and had particularly liked this one. Again, I think I feel connected to a certain sense of melancholy and tend to like books that create that experience.
These are the top three for me, but I cannot not mention some others that have moved be deeply and have had a lasting impact.
- The Adventures of Dennis (Viktor Dragunsky): I firmly believe that all children MUST read this book.
- Little Women (the Marathi translation): I liked the translation more than the original. It had an exceedingly sweet quality.
- Dustar ha ghaat (a marathi book by Gauri Deshpande)
- Moon and the Sixpence (Somerset Maugham)
- Catcher in the Rye, Kosla, and Norwegian Wood, all of which evoked varying degrees of similar emotions.
Favourite online shopping site
I used to work for one of the biggest (may be the biggest actually) online retailer, and was known to be so much into online shopping since before it became so common in India, that I was asked to write a whitepaper on the online shopping scene in India and my favorites. Most of the sites I listed don’t exist anymore.
I do most of my shopping online, groceries included. But the most reliable site that I frequent has to be Amazon. Anytime I want anything, I first visit Amazon and then move towards Myntra, pepperfry, bigbasket etc. depending on the kind of stuff I am looking for.
There used to be this amazing site called Urbantouch. They sent all their products in super-elegant black cardboard boxes. I still use those for my jewelry and cosmetics. I think it was bought out by Myntra.
Favourite phone app
Definitely P Tracker followed by instagram (for snooping around. I’m not too active myself), and wordathon (word game, when I am alone and bored).
One dish you are really good at making and its recipe
Since cooking is my first love and passion, there are simply way too many (i don’t know if I am good at making these, but I certainly like making them)
In no particular order:
Guacamole, Pho, Thai Chicken noodle soup, Hyderabadi dum biryani, Many kinds of whole wheat breads, angoor malai, tzatziki, all veggie thoran, chocolate mousse cake, Kolhapuri tamda rassa.
A quick Guacamole recipe follows:
- One avocado scooped out
- Juice of half a big lime
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1/4 small onion finely chopped
- 1/4 tomato finely chopped
- 1 chili finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- coriander (optional)
Just mash the avocado with a work, add all the ingredients, and mix well.